Kara Jackman, Archivist and Preservation Librarian, Boston University School of Theology Library
Find primary source data and organize datasets in Excel or Google Spreadsheets. From census data released by the government to survey data collected by nonprofit organizations, discover the millions of bits of information found online, and how it can take your research to the next level.
Participants will learn:
- what data is and why is it important
- where to find data and statistical information that fits their theological research
- research methods for data and statistics
- how to find free, downloadable data sets
- how to use BU-owned proprietary databases
- how to organize, filter, and clean up datasets using Google Sheets and Excel
- how to create a pivot table to further drill down on data to enhance your theological research paper
- how to create compelling data visualizations using Excel, Google sheets, and other free websites.
Slides, Handouts, and Videos:
ACRL Information Literacy Framework: Searching as Strategic Exploration.