Do some background reading. Gather basic information about your topic. Google and Wikipedia are okay for a first introduction, but you will want to dig deeper than that. Consult the sources in this and other guides, and use the BU Library Search
As you read:
- What subject areas or disciplines does your topic fall under? It could be several!
- Look for concepts or theories that relate to your topic.
- Keep a list of basic terms in this topic. (Do the terms reflect a certain attitude or bias?)
- Do these initial readings cite other sources that may take your topic further? Check footnotes and bibliographies for more sources.
- Do certain authors or scholars appear to be experts on the topic? Try searching for their publications.